Sunday, December 28, 2008

Looking Ahead to 2009...

Let's just say that 2008 will NOT go down in the record books as a good year for us. The national economic situation has directly affected our own finances as (very) small business owners and spending has REALLY been cut short. That has been especially true for my quilt budget - which is most depressing to me. But....

I've decided to look at it positively and, taking Judy's cue, make this year a true stashbusting year! I have so many kits that I've collected in the past that are just collecting dust that, honestly, could keep me busy for a while. So, I vow to make a dent in my kit stash, doing my best to purchase only the fabrics NEEDED to complete specific projects. Since I like to match fabrics exactly to the ones shown on a pattern, I'm always on the lookout for those one or two fabrics that I'm still missing for each homemade 'kit'.

One other goal is to advance with my Thimbleberries Club projects from previous years. So, I plan to dedicate the first week of each month towards this end, working on blocks for the 2002-2007 projects, plus the original BOM, Month by Month. Some parts have already been completed for each of these quilts, but I haven't yet finished a club quilt. Sad, right?

My list of projects for this year is in my sidebar. I plan to post at least once a week to report my progress, especially amounts of yardage busted. Hoping to have some good news to share next week!

4 comments:

Granny said...

For a while I looked at my stashbusting as "cutting back" but now I see it as a challenge and I'm really enjoying it. Hopefully 2009 will be a better year but for us, it is looking a bit bleak. Surely the job situations have to get better soon! Glad you're joining us for the stashbusting effort in 2009. We'll keep each other on track. About wanting everything to match, why don't you try a time or two totally changing the fabrics and see what you think. You may find you like going out on a limb and using your own colors and that will make it a lot easier for stashbusting.

julieQ said...

I hope your 2009 is a wonderful one!! I too am working on using what I have on hand.

Donna said...

Kristie,thanks for visiting my blog. I sure hear you about the economy affecting the quilting hobby. I also am going to work hard on using the stash and only fabric as really needed, which has not necessarily been my practice in the past.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for asking for some of my recipes. I don't know how to get in touch with you other than this way. If you would like to come back to my blog and leave me your email address, I can email you the bread recipes I use most often that we love. I will try to get them posted on my blog but it may take a while. I thought email would be quicker.