Friday, March 22, 2013

Progress

My online Thimbleberries group began a challenge back in January. Anyone who wanted to participate had to post the name of an unfinished block-of-the month quilt and commit to completing three blocks each quarter of the year. For once, I met a deadline - with 10 days to spare!

Out of the Thimbleberries BOMs that are still in my stash waiting to be sewn, I chose to work on Lynette's very first one: Month By Month, copyright 1998. It took me several years, but I found ALL of the original fabrics - and enough of them to make two quilts: one according to the pattern's dimension, and the other one 'pint-sized'. The latter quilt will wind up being 1/4 the size of the former one. I became enamored with Lynette's smaller quilts based on larger patterns, featured in five of her books and booklets. She shared the pint sizing method at a retreat I attended a few years back, and I've used it a few times - especially when I have not been able to find enough fabric to make the original quilt.

Here are my first three blocks:



My friend Kim is also doing this BOM, but using fabrics from her stash. She is always creative and puts her own spin on the Thimbleberries designs.Me - I'm perfectly content doing everything 'by the book'!

2 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Ohmagawsh! There you are! These look great!

Anonymous said...

I'm not one for doing small blocks, though my best friend is, but your little ones are definitely cute!