Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Harvest Time

Thank you all for your comments to my initial post yesterday! I feel very welcomed into your community, and hope to post quite often.

I thought I'd share one of my finished projects. Pictured is Harvest Time, one of my favorite Thimbleberries patterns of all time. Back in 2002 I was able to find a kit on eBay with ALL of the original fabrics. (As you will soon find out about me, I don't have an ounce of originality in my body, so I channel my energy into duplicating the quilts that I love.)

Anyway, this was one of those projects that I was so hesitant to begin cutting and piecing - just because I was afraid of making a mistake. Last year (I think), I bit the bullet and finished the top - but it took me more than a year to send it out for machine quilting. Even though some of my points don't match up perfectly, having a finished quilt is MUCH better than having the fabrics sitting in a plastic bag, hidden away in a closet.

I'll be bringing this quilt along with me to the MSCS retreat in September for a Show 'n Tell party. The retreat itself is from the 17th to 19th,but I'll be gone from the 14th to the 20th, visiting quilt shops in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. If any of you out there have any MUST SEE quilt shops in those states, please send me the recommendations! Even if I'm not able to visit them this year, I can add them to my destination list next year.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

P.S. Those four sets of hands in the picture belong to my kids - who were NOT thrilled to be holding up the quilt for ten minutes while Mom kept trying to get the perfect photo. My son hid his head, but my daughter poked hers above the quilt, giving me that "are you done yet?" look...

14 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Wow, Kristie, that turned out beautifully! You're right...having a finished quilt is so much nicer than having fabric in a bag!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt looks awesome. No one will see those imperfect points. LOL!

Carol said...

Kristie it's wonderful...I love Country Threads in Garner, Iowa

Anonymous said...

I love that quilt!!! I've seen it done several times and have always wanted to make it. WOW!!!

Yvonne said...

Awesome job....it looks wonderful!

Vicky said...

That is one gorgeous quilt! I love pumpkins!!!!! A lot!!!!

Good job! You're going to wow them at show & tell!

Nan said...

First of all, WELCOME TO BLOGLAND!! Secondly, Happy Birthday, young lady!!
Last, but not least, that is an absolutely gorgeous quilt!! You do very nice work! As for mismatched points, you are the ONLY one who sees them. All I see is a beautiful quilt!

Mar said...

Adorable quilt, ya gotta love pumpkins! I know of a must see quilt shop...

Thimble Creek in California... or wait it's the wrong direction. :-)

The Calico Cat said...

Welcome! Pretty pumpkin quilt.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie,
I started going last year to the Thimbleberries retreat. It was really fun, I am going again this year. I would love to join the Hometown challange. I am trying to start my own blog, but I am having a hard time creating it.

Darlene said...

It's beautiful - you should be very proud of yourself. I certainly don't see your imperfect points LOL - be kind to yourself, it's OK.

I have this as a kit somewhere deep in the closet. HMMM

Sharon said...

Kristie, the secret is you don't mention those points and chances are no one will ever notice. I didn't see anything but your beautiful quilt. A favorite of mine also.

Lootysmom

Judith said...

I have made this quilt too and just finished it I believe this year, maybe at the end of last year.
Welcome to the blogging world by the way

Rose Marie said...

I love fall quilts and yours is lovely! Welcome to blogland!