Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hometown Christmas Challenge!

Kim sure knows how to get a party started! Already Vicky, Sharon, andYvonne have committed to tackling this project - and others like 'bkstitch' are setting up blogs to join in the fun! (BK, click on the 'e-mail' link in my Complete Profile so I can help you with your blog.)

Here are my completed Hometown Christmas blocks - stray threads and all! LOL I had them all cut out before I left for the Minnesota retreat last year, and worked on them throughout my trip. I did my best to match my points but, as Vicky quoted her dad, I wasn't "building a piano".

Now I'm at the point where I have to add the appliques. The directions call for using fusible web to adhere the fabrics to the borders, and LJ machine blanket stitched around the stars, holly, and berries. I've used fusible web before, and have had the raw edges of the appliques start fraying after using the quilt/pillow/etc. So instead, I'm trying a method I saw demonstrated by Eleanor Burns that uses fusible interfacing. Pictured are some of the stars that I've prepared using her method. As you can see, I still have 39 more stars to stitch, trim and turn before I begin to apply them to the red lattice strips. I'll probably blanket stitch by hand, but am considering trying to hand-stitch them down with silk thread. What do you all think?

Well, that's my progress so far! As you can see, I have a LONG way to go, so I'm POSITIVE that everyone else will catch up to me soon enough! LOL

6 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Looking good, Kristie. You've got an excellent start!!!

Angie said...

Welcome, welcome welcome to blogland! I'm sure you'll have a blast with these online quilting friends! They are a wonderful bunch. :> I'm soooo envious of your Harvest pumpkin quilt. My first love in quilting was Thimbleberries and I'm still very very partial to them. :) The one you're working on is great too, and I can't wait to see it with the applique on. Needleturn applique is my first love...I'm not very proficient at any aspect of the quilting process but it is so much fun. :D

Carol said...

WOW! Kristie it looks wonderful!

Teresa said...

Good to see another interesting and productive person blogging! There are so many I've seen in the last few days it's a wonder I've gotten anything done other than reading! :)

I really wish I could join the Thimbleberries quilt, but since I don't have the pattern, I'll just cheer from the sidelines.

Darlene said...

Looking really great - enjoy the fun!

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl your quilt is about finished. I'm already behind on mine. I need to get home and stop hopping cross country shopping. LOL