Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Remember me?

Yes, I'm a very, very, VERY bad blogger - disappearing for months... Shame on me! I didn't work on ANY quilt projects and spent most of my time working and just 'being Mom'. I would've bored you with my tales of (seemingly endless) softball games, baseball games, track meets, church activities, band concerts, graduation ceremonies, etc. So it was good that I didn't blog, right??? LOL

It took some 'virtual' quilting to get me back in the swing of things. Kairle, who is in charge of our online Thimbleberries group, asked me to help her with one of the swaps planned for our Christmas in July event. I started playing around with the block design on my computer using CorelDraw and came up with these:

The quilt is called "Ring Toss" and is from the Thimbleberries book My Best. I used images of Christmas Punch fabrics that I had saved from a distributor's website in order to color the blocks but, after seeing the fabrics in person, I realized how inaccurate they are. The red I used in the block is actually much brighter and the gold outer ring is more faded. Disappointed, I decided to check my stash - and came up with a nice combination of vintage TB fabrics that should work nicely. Stay tuned!

I've also begun working on my other Christmas in July project - a swap of pint-size (24" square or less) quilts. Yesterday I was able to finish cutting out two of these Christmas quilts (one for my partner and one for me) as well as the pint size Pumpkin House project in the new Pint Size Traditions II book. There are TONS of tiny pieces - but it's amazing how little fabric is needed to make these adorable quilts.

I thought I'd also show you part of my workspace. Now, I'm not lucky enough to have a dedicated quilting room/studio like many of you, so I have to make do with what I have. Here's MY cutting area:

Looks a lot like a kitchen counter and cabinets, right? Well, it is! LOL The open cabinet is a nice place to put my book while following cutting directions, and the counter is the perfect height for me for cutting. I just have to make sure that I clean up everything before it's time to make dinner and do the dishes...

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I knew if I saved you on my bloglines, eventually you'd post! :) Glad to see you're back to blogging...

Can't wait to see your quilt when it's done...and I have to ask, have you ventured into making other kinds of quilts or are you strictly making only Thimbleberries quilts? (Either way, I enjoy your blog very much!)

paront1222@comcast.net said...

NICE!!! I'm glad to see a new post :)
Peggy

PS: email me a little about your Thimbleberries group...I'm always looking for a new group that does strictly TB stuff.

Kristie said...

Lovely!!! Can't wait to see your progress!!! Don't feel too bad, I sew in my kitchen too!!! I told hubby, if we could move the stove and refrigerator, I would have plenty of room!! :)
Kristie

SH Sue said...

I LOVE thimbleberries and I LOVE this quilt. I have never seen it before. Great job and wonderful colors.

Kairle Oaks said...

I'm glad you posted your Ring Toss design. Can't wait to see what YOUR blocks look like!

Sleepy Cat Hollow said...

Ooohhh...I've just stumbled upon your blog. I love Thimbleberries fabric ~ and your quilt is lovely!

Michelle
http://sleepycathollow.wordpress.com/